Upgrading the smoker with wifes approval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas-Hunter
    All the ordered parts are here. From the move we can not find the regulators we had hooked up on it (not sure if they are needed either?), but did find the burner I intend on using.

My wifes uncle who is an electrician and also works with some gas installations is planning to come this afternoon to tinker on the smoker. He loves our meat sticks and wants us to make him 50 lb. of them (this will become a yearly deal). So hopefully I will know more at the end of the day.

I also ordered 3 (snomobile hood style) rubber latches for securing the door for a pretty tight seal.
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Texas-Hunter

Well I am hoping that we will start on the smoker tomorrow. Do you have a picture of yours that you can send me so we have something to go off of. Not sure where to start...LOL.

Thanks,
      Tanya
      Where to Shop -
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
      https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Originally posted by TATONKA3A2 View Post
        Texas-Hunter

Well I am hoping that we will start on the smoker tomorrow. Do you have a picture of yours that you can send me so we have something to go off of. Not sure where to start...LOL.

Thanks,
        Tanya
        MOMMA MO...........start FIRST by cracking a BEER !

nuff said.............LOLOL

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Heres an idea that no one considerd.I;ll come by and take that ground veny off yer hands.
          2-22.5'' weber
          1-18'' weber
          1 smokey joe
          22.5'' wsm
          24'' smoke vault
          1-outhouse
          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

OK, besides being busy, I am kind of slow..... but we are finally getting somewhere. We had the basic/main parts right away, but it was the small parts that we did not think of and finding the right fitting parts... took some time.

Here is a pic of the main set up on the smoker - The Honeywell gas ignition kit and the 120 to 24 volt transformer.

and a close up of the modules

The thermostat and controller box

View of the burner and electronic ignition from the front side

View of the burner and electronic ignition from the back side

Tonight we finally got to a point to try ignition, had one gas leak right below the pilot light and we were good to go.

First issues we are seeing is the flame on the burner pulses; meaning not a strong steady flame.

Second issue is the electronic ignition does not light the pilot light every time.

With the burner not burning steady I am wondering if this a regulator problem off the tank (regular gas grill regulator) or if there is adjustments that can be made with the Honeywell gas unit?

On the electronic ignition of the pilot light I am wondering if gain there is an adjustment with the Honeywell gas unit that can be made or if I need a tighter positioning of the pilot light to the ignition unit. Sometimes it lights and other times it does not. When the electronic ignition will not light the pilot I can hold a torch to the pilot and light it immediately.

I am excited to get this all corrected and get my smoker back together. Looking forward to check out the temperature swing between shutting down and firing back up on its own. With thermostat probe hanging on the outside of the smoker it seemed to shutting down great and wanting to fire back up at the right times.
            www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

christ almighty. some one call home land security. looks like a thermal nuclear device we were workin on at the missile range.
              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

When the pilot is lit. What does the flame look like, is it a strong flame or weak? There should be a pilot flame adjustment and this new valve is for LP correct?
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

TH
                  When the pilot is lit, it is more orange than blue. I believe between the three of us working on this we double and triple checked that all valves and orifices were for LP and not natural gas.
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

meanwhile, i've cooked a couple hundred lbs of meat over good ol' wood..

good luck mossy & tatonka. can't wait to see some sausage hanging in there.
                    brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                    18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                    cast iron Hibachi
                    22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                    & rotisserator
                    12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                    stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                    Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                    http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                    my music recordings-
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Did you change the orifice in the pilot?
                      Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                        Did you change the orifice in the pilot?
                        now that has comedic possibilities..
                        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                        cast iron Hibachi
                        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                        & rotisserator
                        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                        my music recordings-
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Texas Hunter -

Thanks for thinking of the pilot assembly. I am not 100% sure on that one. I will have to ask my wife or her uncle if they remember.

MossyMo

Update - yes, we used the right orfice in that as well...just checked with everyone.
                          Last edited by MossyMO; 07-10-2009, 04:19 PM.
                          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                            Texas Hunter -

Thanks for thinking of the pilot assembly. I am not 100% sure on that one. I will have to ask my wife or her uncle if they remember.

MossyMo

Update - yes, we used the right orfice in that as well...just checked with everyone.
                            still a yellow flame?????????

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

I know its new but there could be some sort of obstruction in the orfice.. You may need to take it apart and blow it out..
                              Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X