Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smoking aces View Post
    oh sorry im from new york, ken
    What part? You will find a few of us here...

Comment

This is a beer base chili that has won a few ribbons in chili cook off's. It's retired to home use now, so I don't mind sharing.

Hoof and Hops chili

12 ounce Pork chorizo
      1 pound Beef stew meat cut in cubes
      1 pound Ground chuck
      24 ounce Beer (pale ale's work best)
      15 ounce Tomato Sauce
      15 ounce Tomato canned / diced with juice
      15 ounce Pinto beans
      15 ounce Black beans
      4 cloves fresh Garlic
      1 tbsp Kosher Salt (sea salt works good as well)
      2 tbsp Chili powder
      1/2 tsp Cumin
      1 large Onion white or purple chopped
      2 tbsp Olive oil
      6 ounce Cheddar shredded

Instructions
      1. Mix beer, tomato sauce, diced tomato's, half of the chopped onion, and spices in a 6 Qt pot over medium heat until it begins to simmer. DO NOT ADD BEANS AT THIS TIME!
      2. While liquids are heating up, brown stew meat in frying pan with the 2 Tablspoons of olive oil over high heat. Once browned add meat to pot.
      3. Brown Ground beef and chorizo until water in meat evaporates. Do not drain off fat unless it is excessive. Add to the pot once done
      4. Cover pot and let simmer on low for 3 hours or until stew meat is tender.
      5. Once stew meat is tender, drain and rinse pinto and black beans well. Add to the pot. If the chili is too thick add water as necessary.
      6. Continue to simmer for 30 minutes, then serve with remaining onion and shredded cheese on top

Patriot's BBQ LLC
      BBQ catering
      Competition BBQ team
      "Practical BBQ" Author

Comment

Only suggestions I would offer is that different chili powder can taste radically different. I use Gepharts(I think that's how it's spelled) With the time frame you are dealing with you don't have time to experiment much so I would stick to a set recipe. Also you may want to try a mix of textures on your meat. Some ground, some diced and some chunks. Kens recipe is a great starting point. Forthwinds' looks good too, with the combination of chorizo and stew meat but be careful with the chorizo you'll get a lot of orange fat floating on the top and that will kill you on appearance. Good luck.
        JT

Comment

welcome aboard, glad ya dropped in for a visit. i hope that you got the help you needed
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Got to thinkin, , ,you said this was an event at a BBQ comp? If chile Verde is allowed smoked pork butt makes an incredible Verde and like others have said smoked brisket for a red chili
            JT

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              Here is a recipe of Texas Red I like to use..
              Thanks for the recipe, Ken.

It has been printed and saved. Hell, I may make it this weekend. Of course I'll have to cook something else for the women folk in th house who can't eat anything with any heat at all.

But I'm sure Michael and I will enjoy the chili.

I bet it would be good with smoked brisket too.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                Only suggestions I would offer is that different chili powder can taste radically different. I use Gepharts(I think that's how it's spelled)

Yes sir, Gebhardt is all I ever use.. Don't waste your money on the store brand...

Originally posted by DDave View Post

I bet it would be good with smoked brisket too.

Dave

Yes it is, I think there is a thread around here I did a few years ago when I made Cincinnati Brisket Two Way Chili... It was really good, different but good..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                X