Question bout sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question bout sauce

Hi guys a gals quick question. I am curious does anyone here know a good recipe for a orange soda BBQ sauce I have made a root beer one but it came out horrid the neighbors dog wouldn't even eat the stuff.

Hmm, well I'd probably just stick to the bog standard Black jack genre and replace the beer with the orange soda.

Now I've never actually weighed or measured anything to the extent of an actual quantitative recipe.

But basically. empty about 2/3 pint (one 33ml can) orange soda into saucepan.
    Add about 2 good tbs black treacle/molasses. 1/3 cup ketchup, 2 tbs worcester sauce, tabasco to taste and bring to the boil, simmer while the onions are cooking (see below).
    edit: I also usually add a couple good tbs honey or maple syrup as well :-)

Chop a couple medium onions, put in glass bowl with a little olive oil and a couple tsp Mad hunky (or whatever your favourite bbq rub is) and mix well. In the microwave (just how I make this stuff) and cook on high for 5 minutes, stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
    Add the onions to the sauce and blitz with a hand blender.

Nothing stopping you cooking onions in saucepan and then addind the liquid ingredients. But my way you go from raw ingredients to finished bbq sauce in around 20 minutes :-)

Additionally I'd also add the zest of 1-2 oranges to the original ingredients (soda, treacle, etc) to give it an extra orangey kick
    1 oraneg would make it quite orangey - 2 would give you massive orange flavour. Most of the essential flavour oils in citrus fruit is in the first mm or so of the skin.

And that stuff would be damn good
    Tell people it took you all day to make - and they'll probably believe you :-)

Oh and be careful with the stick blender this stuff stains pretty good

You could always chicken out and blitz it in a jug blender - but where's the fun in that
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-29-2012, 09:45 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I'm gonna give it a whirl come Sunday for football thank you for your help man appreciate it :)

Comment

It doesn't have orange pop but wingman made a great orange sauce that is great on chicken.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ange+marmalade
        sigpic

Comment

pretty similiar recipes. Yep nothing wrong with throwing some orange marmelade in there as well. reminds me I'd left out an ingredient anyway (see edit on original post)
          So you could substitute the marmelade for the honey or maple syrup if you wanted.

These traditional (?) type bbq sauces are essentially heavily flavoured sugar syrups. I keep mine in the freezer - it has too much sugar to freeze solid. So I just dig out lumps and warm up when i want some. Keeps for ever. It'll also keep for months in the fridge - sugar is a great preservative.

Fortunately you only need small amounts of the sauce on food. Warn any diabetics to use very sparingly :-)
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I have chicken I'm gonna give that sauce a whirl nothing like some good football and some good ole chicken. Thank you guys for your responses

Comment

just remember to document any recipe tweaks and take pictures :-)
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

For sure I always take pictures got chicken thawing out

Comment

Working...
                X