Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UDS 1.0a Gets a Paint Job (Lots of Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the nice comments, folks.

Originally posted by cajun_1 View Post
    Your killing me here ... It's a "UDS" Ugly is the word
    It's still ugly on the inside. No pretty paint there . . . well maybe just a little bit of overspray . . . but nothing a little vaporized animal fat shouldn't take care of.
    Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Man ya did a nice job!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Dave could ya have made that a brighter shade? Gee, the drum does get hot, but now its mimicking the sun. Wait a minute, what ya using for fuel maybe it ain't mimicking the sun, maybe it is.

Nice paint job. Bare metal and a base coat of primer. Good work buddy.
        sigpic

Comment

well it sure looks pretty - but I'm still not going to paint mine when i get it !

Nice job :-)
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
            well it sure looks pretty - but I'm still not going to paint mine when i get it !
            That's what I've had in mind the whole time. Keep the name (UDS) alive.

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              Originally posted by cajun_1 View Post
              That's what I've had in mind the whole time. Keep the name (UDS) alive.
              Well, if it's any consolation to ya, when I was waxing it today, I noticed a ding.

Just kidding.

Not about the ding,

About the waxing.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

Comment

Dave, do you have a pic of the build? I see some holes drilled that i can't finger out what they are for.......lower on the drum. when its sitting UPRIGHT.

Plus what brand/type of paint are you using. Looked online at orielly's and dont see a yellow that bright. and i NEED a yellow that bright, as my UDS will be hawkeye colors. and was that a high gloss paint?

TIA

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                    Dave, do you have a pic of the build? I see some holes drilled that i can't finger out what they are for.......lower on the drum. when its sitting UPRIGHT.
                    Steve, I think the holes you are talking about are the ones about half way up the drum? Top set are for the top rack, middle set are for the bottom rack and the bottom set are for another rack that I had made.

My original intention was to set my charcoal basket on that rack to get the coals closer to the cook grate to grill.

You could also put a drip pan, diffuser, or what ever you wanted to put there.

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                    Plus what brand/type of paint are you using. Looked online at orielly's and dont see a yellow that bright. and i NEED a yellow that bright, as my UDS will be hawkeye colors. and was that a high gloss paint?
                    The paint is Duplicolor High Heat Engine Enamel and the color is Daytona Yellow. I know it doesn't have to be high heat paint but I liked the color as well so I went with it. I ordered it online from Jeggs High Performance. It was $5 a can.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Duplicolor/318...oductId=763060

I think I used 3 cans but I put SEVERAL coats on it. I used the Duplicolor High Heat Primer as well. Again, probably not necessary but what the heck.

Hope this helps.

Dave
                    Last edited by DDave; 09-10-2017, 01:05 PM.
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

thankx dude........i finally saw your thread on the grilling, and fingered that one out.

been trying to find more info on a diffuser.............for the uds. I know it defeats the purpose of the fat dripping on the coals, but, if i remember correctly, you need to flip larger sizes of meat couple times. trying to get away from doing that. I saw your mod using the 1/4 inch plate over your basket. but mine will be rectangular. but like you mentioned, the fat will still sizzle on the hot plate and still flavor the meat.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

WD -- If you've got 24" of clearance between the bottom of the charcoal basket and the cook grate, and your fire is under control -- no need to flip. (I think I quoted Bubba on that from a thread from the Brethren at one time. ) I've done briskets that would barely fit on the grate and even pork butts fat side up without flipping. I usually shoot for a grate temp of 240ish but I really don't get too worried if it creeps into the 260s.

I'll typically put a brisket on around 10 or 11 pm, get the drum stabilized and go to bed. Unless the Maverick ET-73 wakes me up, I'll go check it at 5 or 6 am, stick a temp probe in it and go from there. With butts, I'll usually put them on around 6 am and let 'em go until noon, then I'll stick a probe in them.

I've only used the diffuser plate twice but I suppose you could put a plate with some holes in it on a rack about halfway up the drum like mine. If the plate had enough holes in it, some fat would drip through and sizzle but it would also shield and disperse the heat if you were concerned with the need to flip.

Lots of options.

Dave
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        -

Comment

Working...
                        X