Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

I'm going to be smoking some deer meat this Saturday. I have never done it before. What temps should I be at? Internal and in the box? Marinade before? brine? Any suggestions will help...
    sigpic

Well, with veni, you got 2 choices: med rare or jerky. Most else is not palatable.
    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

X2 What cut of veni are you smoking? A few things you need to keep in mind. It will cook very fast and continue to rise after you take it out of the smoker.

I like to take IT(internal) to 130-35 ish and let it rest shooting for a temp of 140. I really do it my by feel and look than temp, but that is the ball park for what I do.

This is just what I do, and just my opinion.

Comment

I do most of my venison smoking with the goal of making "bambi-Q". I do it just like pork butts and pull it & add the liquid gold & some sauces & spices. It comes out surprisingly close to pulled pork but you can tell the difference. Most folks love it, even the squeamish women who "can't eat Bambi".
        I smoke it at 225-250* until 160 or so and foil it until it is tender, just like a brisket. then I leave it covered until cool & pull it.
        Otherwise I do the venison on the Weber kettle with smoke until med. and serve it like a steak or roast.
        MES 30"
        A-Maze-N pellet smoker
        Weber 22" kettle
        E-Z-Que rotisserie
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Big Weber Gasser
        Cracker Smoker
        UDS

Comment

I'm a marinade and cook to medium rare kind of guy. It cooks fast and can dry out very easily. A lot of people wrap it in bacon to help keep it from drying out.
          Propane Smoke Shack
          UDS
          Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
            I'm a marinade and cook to medium rare kind of guy. It cooks fast and can dry out very easily. A lot of people wrap it in bacon to help keep it from drying out.
            yep. Basic marinade: 1/2 cup red wine, 1/2 cup coke, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 dsp lea and perrins worcestershire sauce.

Give it six - 8 hours.
            And defintiely wrap in bacon :-)
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Another good option with venison is to lard it with strips of bacon or pork fat. I usually just stab it with a boning knife and and stuff the strips in with my finger, although larding needles are available.
              sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

defintiely dont low and slow with deer meat, larding it is a good idea,
                few years ago i had saved up a real nice neck roast and smoked it along with a pork butt and kinda forgot about the roast. took it out and i cut into the roast and it was turned into mush like cat food. what a waist that was.

not shure about the choices given here, i grew up eating deer steaks that is floured and pan fried to well done, and i still cook deer meat the same way and i haven had any cut of deer to be not palatable cooked to well done, and that could be from the IOWA corn feed deer,
                my Q-view pics on photobucket
                http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...ish483/Q-view/

Comment

Wow, responses all over the board! I use a variety of methods depending on the cut of meat. A loin or back strap grilled med-rare, a ham low and slow, or scraps soaked in buttermilk over night - breaded and fried. Just remember Bambi is very lean so it'll get tough on ya real quick. Don't over cook it, nooo well done - is over done. Marinades and brines are good depending on what you cookin.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
                    Another good option with venison is to lard it with strips of bacon or pork fat. I usually just stab it with a boning knife and and stuff the strips in with my finger, although larding needles are available.
                    Here's a home-brew set-up for larding.... should you wanna try.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...33911#poststop
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                    X