Sausage Stuffer for snack sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sausage Stuffer for snack sticks

I'm really tired of the crappy sausage and snack sticks you buy at the local grocery store/meat market. Most of the time, the sausgae is so loaded with salt and black pepper you really can't taste anything else.

I am thinking about getting into the sausage making and snack stick making (small scale) and curious to know what type/brand of stuffer people are using.
    I would probably make no more than a 5lb batch at a time and would use ground meat/ground pork from the grocery store. Would not grind my own meat.

I read Gunslinger's snack stick tutorial today and he is using a 3/8" tube. The other posts I read also use a 3/8" tube for snack sticks.

I've looked at a few sausage stuffers online.
    -The one from Grizzly $85 comes with a 5/8, 7/8 and 1" tube. Does not appear you can buy a 3/8" tube.
    -Northern Tool has one, $85 and appears to be the same as the one from Grizzly. That one too comes with the same tube sizes and does not appear you can buy a 3/8" tube.
    -Academy has a LEM for $150 and it comes with a 1/2, 3/4 and 1" tube. Didn't see where you can buy a 3/8" tube.
    Academy also has the Jerky Cannon for $50. In the description, it shows to use the 1/2" tube for snack sticks but it looks like it is a short tube vs the long tubes on the stuffer's I've seen.
    -Amazon has the Sportsman Sausage stuffer for $148. It comes with three tubes but does not show the sizes.

For those who make small batches of sausage and snack sticks, which item would you recommend? I've never made sausage or snack sticks before so I would be learning as i go. To be honest, I would probably make more snack sticks than sausage but I would like something that can do both.
    Thanks Eddie
    Stumps Baby
    Bubba Keg Convection Grill
    Digi Q
    Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
    Custom end grain cutting board
    Superfast Yellow Thermapen
    18 " Smoke Vault
    12" AMNTS
    AMNPS
    Newbie beer brewer

I like my lem. It did not come with a 3/8 but you can get one from them, its stainless steel

LEM 606A Stainless Steel Sausage Stuffing Tube for Stuffers - 3/8 Inch ID with 1 9/16 Inch Base
    LEM Products LLC
    Last edited by Charcuteryan; 11-06-2013, 11:22 AM.
    sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
    Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
    Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

I don't think anyone includes the 3/8 tube with the stuffer.
      To me they all look like the same unit, so not sure if it matters which one. If one of them offered steel gears it would be a plus.
      sigpic

Comment

it's not the diameter of the stuffing tube that's important - but what diameter casing you buy.

I pretty much use mostly 19mm collagen for snacksticks. I have no idea what that is in inches :-)

But basically the smallest of the three tubes you'll get with any 5lb stuffer will take 19mm collagen and have no problems at all on similiar sized sheep casing.
        Occasionally use that - but the collagen is way less hassle :-)

I have plastic tubes with mine - no problems with them.

All the vertical 5lb stuffers are similiar - only real difference is whether it has steel or nylon gears.

Plenty members on here use the nylon gear models for snackstix. So it's pretty much down to what you can afford.

But basically they'll all do the job

If you shop around there's usually someone over there flogging them for under $80

And bear in mind that it's also usually cheaper to buy the stuffer with nylon gears and then buy a set of ss gears and change them over yourself.
        Can work out hundred dollars or more cheaper
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by 44 bbq View Post
          I'm really tired of the crappy sausage and snack sticks you buy at the local grocery store/meat market. Most of the time, the sausgae is so loaded with salt and black pepper you really can't taste anything else.

I am thinking about getting into the sausage making and snack stick making (small scale) and curious to know what type/brand of stuffer people are using.
          I would probably make no more than a 5lb batch at a time and would use ground meat/ground pork from the grocery store. Would not grind my own meat.

I read Gunslinger's snack stick tutorial today and he is using a 3/8" tube. The other posts I read also use a 3/8" tube for snack sticks.

I've looked at a few sausage stuffers online.
          -The one from Grizzly $85 comes with a 5/8, 7/8 and 1" tube. Does not appear you can buy a 3/8" tube.
          -Northern Tool has one, $85 and appears to be the same as the one from Grizzly. That one too comes with the same tube sizes and does not appear you can buy a 3/8" tube.
          -Academy has a LEM for $150 and it comes with a 1/2, 3/4 and 1" tube. Didn't see where you can buy a 3/8" tube.
          Academy also has the Jerky Cannon for $50. In the description, it shows to use the 1/2" tube for snack sticks but it looks like it is a short tube vs the long tubes on the stuffer's I've seen.
          -Amazon has the Sportsman Sausage stuffer for $148. It comes with three tubes but does not show the sizes.

For those who make small batches of sausage and snack sticks, which item would you recommend? I've never made sausage or snack sticks before so I would be learning as i go. To be honest, I would probably make more snack sticks than sausage but I would like something that can do both.
          Thanks Eddie
          Any of those stuffers will work. Most don't come with the 3/8 tube. It is required if you want to use the 19 mm collagen casings. LEM sells them. Don't be surprised if they are back ordered. It's that time of year. You may have to find it elsewhere.

Also keep in mind that that's a small tube and much harder on the stuffer. You can add more liquid to the mix to get it through the tube, but then you need to dry them longer. Snack sticks are the cause of most stripped gears. If you can swing it, get one with metal gears. Lot less headaches.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post

Also keep in mind that that's a small tube and much harder on the stuffer. You can add more liquid to the mix to get it through the tube, but then you need to dry them longer. Snack sticks are the cause of most stripped gears. If you can swing it, get one with metal gears. Lot less headaches.
            Amen...you looking for a workout? Stuff snack stix.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Academy has a LEM with metal gears for $148. might swing by tomorrow and see if they have any in stock.
              Didn't really want to pay that much but the cheaper ones all appear to have nylon or plastic gears.
              is it really that difficult to make snack sticks with the smaller casing vs sausage?
              Stumps Baby
              Digi Q
              18 " Smoke Vault
              12" AMNTS
              AMNPS
              Newbie beer brewer

Comment

is it really that difficult to make snack sticks with the smaller casing vs sausage?
                Yes.
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Chit. Now I'm not sure if I want to spend the money and give it a try.
                  Stumps Baby
                  Digi Q
                  18 " Smoke Vault
                  12" AMNTS
                  AMNPS
                  Newbie beer brewer

Comment

I have has reasonable success using a cheap jerky gun with a small stuffing tube for small batches of sticks and sheep cased sausages..... Biggest PIA is refilling it every 2-3 ft of casing.....
                    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Chit. Now I'm not sure if I want to spend the money and give it a try.
                      Well..you'll have gained a good stuffer for sausage. And maybe you will find your sticks are worth it

I made 20 pounds last year for a guy... I don't think I'll be offering that choice again. But..I WILL make them for me :{)

Comment

Academy has a LEM with metal gears for $148. might swing by tomorrow and see if they have any in stock.
                        Didn't really want to pay that much but the cheaper ones all appear to have nylon or plastic gears.
                        If your not in a real big hurry, the sporting goods store's here usually have them on sale in December. I got my LEM for a $100.

There's this one
                        http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001PL...110_SY165_QL70
                        If its still available in a couple weeks I would have a LEM for sale cheap.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post

There's this one
                          http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001PL...110_SY165_QL70
                          If its still available in a couple weeks I would have a LEM for sale cheap.
                          That looks pretty beefy! Kinda an F. Dick clone... reduction gears in the casing. Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            That looks pretty beefy! Kinda an F. Dick clone... reduction gears in the casing. Hmmm...
                            It would be ordered if my customers would be paying a little faster.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'll prob wait until after thanksgiving and see if any go on sale.
                              Stumps Baby
                              Digi Q
                              18 " Smoke Vault
                              12" AMNTS
                              AMNPS
                              Newbie beer brewer

Comment

Working...