Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Logs (Unstuffed--All Beef)

Bear Logs (Unstuffed & Slightly Hot)

Taste is very similar to a very good "Pennsylvania Dutch Smoked Ring Bologna".

This recipe is similar to my "Beef Stick" recipe, but with a little more heat (not too much).
    Recipe is for 9 pounds of 80/20 Ground Beef.

Day # 1
    Mix the following wet and dry mixes separately:

#1 Wet Mix
    Tender Quick----------------------2 1/4 ounces (4 1/2 TBS)----Proper amount for 9 pounds of Ground Meat
    Soy sauce---------------------------4 ounces
    Ice Water----------------------------5 ounces
    Stir this until TQ is dissolved, and put in fridge.
    ================================================== ==========================

#2 Dry Mix
    Black Pepper-----------------------------------1 TBS
    Red Pepper Flakes-----------------------------1 TBS
    Cayenne Pepper--------------------------------1 TBS
    Mustard Seed-----------------------------------1 TBS
    Fennel Seed (slightly crushed)---------------1 TBS
    Anise Seed--------------------------------------1 TBS
    Italian Seasoning-------------------------------1 1/2 tsp
    Garlic Powder-----------------------------------1 tsp
    Onion Powder-----------------------------------1 tsp
    ================================================== ============================
    Any amounts of the ingredients above can change to suit your tastes, except the TQ.
    The amount of TQ should be 1/4 ounce (1/2 TBS) of TQ per pound of Ground meat.
    Now spread your ground meat out in whatever you're going to mix it in (I use a large bowl).
    Incorporate Mix # 1 with Mix #2 together, and pour it over all of your ground meat.
    Now Mix & Mix & Mix & Mix & Mix, until you're sure it's mixed as good as possible.

Cover the container with plastic wrap, and put in fridge (36˚ to 38˚) for an overnight rest.

Day # 2

Remove meat from fridge, and proceed to roll into logs about 2" to 2 1/2" in diameter.
    Place them on your smoker racks as you roll them, being careful not to allow them to touch each other.
    After rolling, put them in the fridge (uncovered) for another overnight rest.

Day # 3 (Smokin' Day)

Preheat smoker to 130˚, and put smoking racks, with meat on, in smoker.
    After about 1 hour, get a nice amount of smoke going in smoker (I used an AMNS loaded with Hickory).
    After a total of 3 hours, bump heat up to 150˚.
    After 2 more hours, bump heat to 170˚.
    After 2 more hours, bump heat to 180˚.
    Keep heat at 180˚ until internal temperatures of logs are all 160˚ or more.
    Mine were 161˚-165˚-161˚-160˚-160˚-160˚-168˚ when I removed them.

Throw the logs into ice water to get them down to about 100˚, or below.
    Pat them all dry, and put them in a dry bowl.
    Put them in fridge, uncovered, overnight to cool down & mellow out.

Day # 4

Cut into the size pieces you want to freeze, vacuum pack, label packs, and freeze what won't be eaten within 5 days or so.
    Keep refrigerated until eating.

BTW: I know they're a bit ugly, like my Unstuffed Beef Sticks, because there isn't any skin on them to keep them smooth & pretty, but they're Darn Tasty this way!

Thanks, and enjoy the Qview below,

Bear

Cure & Ingredients:

All mixed up---after being in fridge over night:

Rolled into logs:

Closer look:

In the middle of 36 hours of 35 MPH to 45 MPH sustained winds, with gusts of 60 MPH caused me to fasten a heavy old quilt to the end of the porch, to block the wind that was whipping through, and sucking the heat out of my smoker:

Closer look.
    Note: Quilt is dirty from using it to protect my Bears during delivery:

The heavy winds were ripping the screws right through the quilt, so I made some emergency washers (bottle caps--LOL):

Beef Bologna Under Glass:

Fresh out of the MES:

Cut for vacuum packing---couple pieces are missing! HMMMMmmmm........
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Those look great. Cool windblock too

Comment

Any chance you are going to put these step-by-step threads in your signature?

Comment

Originally posted by Biaviian View Post
        Any chance you are going to put these step-by-step threads in your signature?
        Thank You!!
        I guess if nobody minds, and if there's enough room for about a dozen links, and if I can figure out how---LOL.

Bear

And Thanks ThunderDome!!!
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

i'm all over this - another great one, bear!
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
          Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Yummm
            sigpic

Comment

Nice Bear! Those look great!!
              Don

Humphrey's Pint
              Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
              Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
              Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
              Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
              Anova One Sous Vide
              AMPS
              Purple Thermapen
              Maverick ET-733
              DigIQ DX2
              Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Good looking bologna, Bear. According to the way your flag was blowing, it looks like the wind is blowing across the smoker before it gets to the quilt. I know, picky, picky.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by tadowdaddy View Post
                  Nice Bear! Those look great!!
                  Thank You Tad !!

Bear

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                  Good looking bologna, Bear. According to the way your flag was blowing, it looks like the wind is blowing across the smoker before it gets to the quilt. I know, picky, picky.

Thank You Mr Bassman!!
                  It seems to have to have two sides open to be a serious wind problem, with the smoker back near the corner. When I cover that one side, the only side open is the front. Plus I actually have about 2 feet of the front covered (look at the far end & to the right). The wind doesn't seem to go back as far as the smoker, unless it has a way out. LOL--My theory anyway.

Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                    Thank You Tad !!

Bear

Thank You Mr Bassman!!
                    It seems to have to have two sides open to be a serious wind problem, with the smoker back near the corner. When I cover that one side, the only side open is the front. Plus I actually have about 2 feet of the front covered (look at the far end & to the right). The wind doesn't seem to go back as far as the smoker, unless it has a way out. LOL--My theory anyway.

Bear

Somehow I knew you'd have a good answer.
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Those look mighty tasty. Bet that'd be good in a casing too.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

Way to go Papa Bear! for all your hard work in making these tutorials!

Comment

Wow! Those look amazing. And another one I was reluctant to click on.

Tom

Comment

ya know i was going to give ya points for this project, well done how to section, great pic's and then i got to the bottle cap washers...

way to improvise, adapt and over come. dawg gon it that a home run within itself.

Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X