Posted On: 11-17-2017
Replies: 7
Views: 103
0 Still Blonde...
Last Post: Richtee
Replies: 3
Views: 64
0 Boneless & Skinless Chicken Thighs (Second Round)
Last Post: dsgarner06
Replies: 1
Views: 32
0 Howdy!
Last Post: Mark R
Replies: 17
Views: 179
0 Nesco vacuum sealer
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Replies: 14
Views: 200
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,415 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,851 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 642,490 Polls 36
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 12-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Default Bear Logs (Unstuffed--All Beef)

Bear Logs (Unstuffed & Slightly Hot)

Taste is very similar to a very good "Pennsylvania Dutch Smoked Ring Bologna".

This recipe is similar to my "Beef Stick" recipe, but with a little more heat (not too much).
Recipe is for 9 pounds of 80/20 Ground Beef.

Day # 1
Mix the following wet and dry mixes separately:

#1 Wet Mix
Tender Quick----------------------2 1/4 ounces (4 1/2 TBS)----Proper amount for 9 pounds of Ground Meat
Soy sauce---------------------------4 ounces
Ice Water----------------------------5 ounces
Stir this until TQ is dissolved, and put in fridge.
================================================== ==========================

#2 Dry Mix
Black Pepper-----------------------------------1 TBS
Red Pepper Flakes-----------------------------1 TBS
Cayenne Pepper--------------------------------1 TBS
Mustard Seed-----------------------------------1 TBS
Fennel Seed (slightly crushed)---------------1 TBS
Anise Seed--------------------------------------1 TBS
Italian Seasoning-------------------------------1 1/2 tsp
Garlic Powder-----------------------------------1 tsp
Onion Powder-----------------------------------1 tsp
================================================== ============================
Any amounts of the ingredients above can change to suit your tastes, except the TQ.
The amount of TQ should be 1/4 ounce (1/2 TBS) of TQ per pound of Ground meat.
Now spread your ground meat out in whatever you're going to mix it in (I use a large bowl).
Incorporate Mix # 1 with Mix #2 together, and pour it over all of your ground meat.
Now Mix & Mix & Mix & Mix & Mix, until you're sure it's mixed as good as possible.

Cover the container with plastic wrap, and put in fridge (36˚ to 38˚) for an overnight rest.

Day # 2

Remove meat from fridge, and proceed to roll into logs about 2" to 2 1/2" in diameter.
Place them on your smoker racks as you roll them, being careful not to allow them to touch each other.
After rolling, put them in the fridge (uncovered) for another overnight rest.

Day # 3 (Smokin' Day)

Preheat smoker to 130˚, and put smoking racks, with meat on, in smoker.
After about 1 hour, get a nice amount of smoke going in smoker (I used an AMNS loaded with Hickory).
After a total of 3 hours, bump heat up to 150˚.
After 2 more hours, bump heat to 170˚.
After 2 more hours, bump heat to 180˚.
Keep heat at 180˚ until internal temperatures of logs are all 160˚ or more.
Mine were 161˚-165˚-161˚-160˚-160˚-160˚-168˚ when I removed them.

Throw the logs into ice water to get them down to about 100˚, or below.
Pat them all dry, and put them in a dry bowl.
Put them in fridge, uncovered, overnight to cool down & mellow out.

Day # 4

Cut into the size pieces you want to freeze, vacuum pack, label packs, and freeze what won't be eaten within 5 days or so.
Keep refrigerated until eating.

BTW: I know they're a bit ugly, like my Unstuffed Beef Sticks, because there isn't any skin on them to keep them smooth & pretty, but they're Darn Tasty this way!

Thanks, and enjoy the Qview below,

Bear

Cure & Ingredients:

All mixed up---after being in fridge over night:

Rolled into logs:

Closer look:

In the middle of 36 hours of 35 MPH to 45 MPH sustained winds, with gusts of 60 MPH caused me to fasten a heavy old quilt to the end of the porch, to block the wind that was whipping through, and sucking the heat out of my smoker:

Closer look.
Note: Quilt is dirty from using it to protect my Bears during delivery:

The heavy winds were ripping the screws right through the quilt, so I made some emergency washers (bottle caps--LOL):

Beef Bologna Under Glass:

Fresh out of the MES:

Cut for vacuum packing---couple pieces are missing! HMMMMmmmm........

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 12-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Its really smokey in here

ThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To All
ThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To All

Those look great. Cool windblock too

Ugly Drum Smokers on Facebook
Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Fire Starter

Biaviian Knows How To Mop The MeatBiaviian Knows How To Mop The Meat

Any chance you are going to put these step-by-step threads in your signature?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biaviian View Post
Any chance you are going to put these step-by-step threads in your signature?
Thank You!!
I guess if nobody minds, and if there's enough room for about a dozen links, and if I can figure out how---LOL.

Bear

And Thanks ThunderDome!!!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:17 PM
SMF/OTBS Refugee

TasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To All
TasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To All

i'm all over this - another great one, bear!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ
Old 12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Yummm
Old 12-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Pit Master

Thanks Tas & Fishawn !!!!

Bear
Old 12-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Pit Master

tadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To All
tadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To All

Nice Bear! Those look great!!

Humphrey's Pint
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
Anova One Sous Vide
AMPS
Purple Thermapen
Maverick ET-733
DigIQ DX2
Misfit #1674

Old 12-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Keepin' on Smokin'

Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All
Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All

Good looking bologna, Bear. According to the way your flag was blowing, it looks like the wind is blowing across the smoker before it gets to the quilt. I know, picky, picky.

Smoke Vault 24
Old 12-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadowdaddy View Post
Nice Bear! Those look great!!
Thank You Tad !!

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
Good looking bologna, Bear. According to the way your flag was blowing, it looks like the wind is blowing across the smoker before it gets to the quilt. I know, picky, picky.

Thank You Mr Bassman!!
It seems to have to have two sides open to be a serious wind problem, with the smoker back near the corner. When I cover that one side, the only side open is the front. Plus I actually have about 2 feet of the front covered (look at the far end & to the right). The wind doesn't seem to go back as far as the smoker, unless it has a way out. LOL--My theory anyway.

Bear
Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Keepin' on Smokin'

Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All
Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
Thank You Tad !!

Bear

Thank You Mr Bassman!!
It seems to have to have two sides open to be a serious wind problem, with the smoker back near the corner. When I cover that one side, the only side open is the front. Plus I actually have about 2 feet of the front covered (look at the far end & to the right). The wind doesn't seem to go back as far as the smoker, unless it has a way out. LOL--My theory anyway.

Bear

Somehow I knew you'd have a good answer.

Smoke Vault 24
Old 12-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Shoot it, Cook it, Eat it

RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All
RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All

Those look mighty tasty. Bet that'd be good in a casing too.
S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
New Braunfels Bandera
UniFlame Gas Grill
Lil Chief
Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 PM
I like meat

Squirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To All
Squirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To All

Way to go Papa Bear! for all your hard work in making these tutorials!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:09 PM
188 lbs. 232 lbs lost.

Gunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To All
Gunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To All

Wow! Those look amazing. And another one I was reluctant to click on.

Tom
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 12-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Padre

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

ya know i was going to give ya points for this project, well done how to section, great pic's and then i got to the bottle cap washers...

way to improvise, adapt and over come. dawg gon it that a home run within itself.

Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
Chargriller SnP well modified
one ugly ass drum smoker
New Braunfels Bandera in dry dock for a service life extension overhaul

and

saving for a trailer mounted 60" reverse flow for my christmas present
Old 12-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Way to go Papa Bear! for all your hard work in making these tutorials!
Thank You Much!!!
You're such a sweet little squirrel !!!
You can jump on my feeder any time!
Just be careful not to stand on the bottom plate, and touch any of the metal perches at the same time!!!

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
Wow! Those look amazing. And another one I was reluctant to click on.
Thanks Tom!
You'll get used to that. I've been a Bear too long to change.

Bear
Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
Somehow I knew you'd have a good answer.
LOL---I tried so many ways. The quilt works best for high winds.
For light breezes, I have a USPS box with a hole cut in the bottom that fits over the exhaust vent, and keeps the wind out of my smoker. I tried using a tin can as an extension, but in the Winter it sweats, and the juices run down the inside of the can & drip on any food in the back right corner. I didn't like that !!!

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRay View Post
Those look mighty tasty. Bet that'd be good in a casing too.
Thanks Ray!!
Some have stuffed them, and loved it !
I just like to get more smoke on, even if it is little difference.
I can't get enough smoke. LOL

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty ol salt View Post
ya know i was going to give ya points for this project, well done how to section, great pic's and then i got to the bottle cap washers...

way to improvise, adapt and over come. dawg gon it that a home run within itself.

Thank You COS !!!
LOL---The Army used to call that "Field Expediency".
I think it's just proof that some of us Rednecks live in PA !!

Bear
Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Shoot it, Cook it, Eat it

RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All
RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Thanks Ray!!
Some have stuffed them, and loved it !
I just like to get more smoke on, even if it is little difference.
I can't get enough smoke. LOL

Bear
I hear ya on the smoke. Glad you posted these. No fancy equipment needed. Anyone can make it. Started out like this with my venison. In the oven. You could say those were a "gateway" sausage. Because it's what led to my full blown addiction today. Hehe.
S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
New Braunfels Bandera
UniFlame Gas Grill
Lil Chief
Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 AM
miss ya gary....

chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All
chefrob Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
I know they're a bit ugly.....
they ain't that bad....................

it's all good my friend..........

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Sausage