Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Salmon (for Snacking)

Smoked Salmon for Snacking

I did this one awhile back, but I think it's a good "Step by Step", and I never showed it on this forum, so I figured I'd put it here for anyone who can use it. Everyone who has followed this has loved it.

The following is my results from smoking 8 batches of Salmon caught in Upstate New York. I experimented with many different ways to see what worked best for me. My variations included cold smoking for 3 hours before putting them in my MES 30, smoking with & without skin on, with & without water in pan, with apple juice in pan, with apple wood, with cherry wood, with hickory wood. I tried going hot right away, and I tried taking heat up gradually. I tried a few different mixtures in my brine.
    I have also read that there are two ways to eliminate parasites that are said to be in nearly all fish. You must either cook the fish to over 160 degrees, or freeze it for at least 30 days at Zero degrees or below (Or other temps for other lengths of time). Since I only want to smoke my Salmon & not cook them, I chose to freeze mine to 0 degrees for 30 days or more before smoking.

The following is what seemed to be the best of my first 7 batches, and my eighth batch was a duplicate of the best of the first 7 batches to confirm that it was indeed the best. It was!
    The Salmon I smoked were caught in Upstate New York, in a tributary of the Salmon River, near Pulaski, NY. They were all from Salmon approximately 30" to 36" long. The fillets at their thickest point were about 1 1/2" thick.

This will be the recipe and instructions I will follow for smoking Salmon from this day forward:

Note: This amount of Salmon was to fill 3 grill racks of an MES 30. Other smokers can fit more or less.

I discarded all other notes, because this was the best:

Thaw fillets, remove skin, cut the fillets lengthwise right down the middle and cut these strips into 7" or 8" lengths (usually 1/3 of the length of the fillet).
    Put these pieces into the following brine:

Brine:
    Put 1/2 quart of apple juice in a pot on the stove, bringing to low boil & then down to simmer.
    Add to this;
    6 ounces of soy sauce
    1/2 cup of non-iodized salt
    1/2 cup of brown sugar
    1/2 tsp of Garlic powder
    1/2 tsp of Onion powder
    1/2 tsp of Cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp of Dried Bay Leaf Flakes (or 2 or 3 fresh bay leaves)

Stir until salt is dissolved. Then add 1 1/2 quarts of water & ice to cool quickly.

Note: This brine works for most fish. Just be sure to follow the brining times below.
    Leave the Salmon pieces submerged in this brine for the following times:
    Pieces Thicker than 1/2" --------------6 hours.
    Pieces 1/2" Thick or less---------------4 hours

After removing from brine, rinse each piece well, pat dry, and lay on paper towels.

Get however many smoker racks you will need. My batches just fit on three racks (MES 30). Spray each rack with Pam to limit the amount the fish will stick to the racks. Dry the thickest pieces one at a time again with paper towels, and put these pieces on one rack. Dry the thinnest pieces, and put them on a different rack. Dry the rest of the pieces, and put them on a third rack. I put the three racks in my extra fridge overnight (uncovered) to dry & form pellicle.

The next day: (Time to smoke the Salmon)
    Put the rack with thinnest pieces on top position of your smoker, medium on next position, and thickest on third position.
    NO water in water pan.
    Exhaust vent fully opened.
    Put meat probe in center of thickest piece of fish.
    Set smoker to 120 degrees.
    If the pellicle is not completely formed, do not put smoke on for the first hour or two in the smoker.
    Put hickory chips & a couple chunks of Hickory in smoking pan.
    During smoking, when smoke stops, add Apple chips & chunks.
    Use Hickory only for first couple hours.
    I try for a light to medium smoke with my MES.
    A little burst of heavy smoke doesn't seem to hurt.

Or if you have an AMNPS, fill it with pellets (I like Hickory).
    Light one end real good, and put it on the bars, to the left of the chip burner.

Keep smoker at 120˚ for about two hours.
    Bump temp to 140˚
    Two hours later, bump to 180˚
    Remove pieces as they go above 140˚ internal.
    How long this takes doesn't matter, just so they go over 140˚.
    Some of mine have gone up to over 160˚, and it didn't hurt.

Let the pieces cool for an hour or more in an open top plastic bowl.
    Put the bowl in a fridge overnight (uncovered) to cool & air out.

Next day, dump pieces out on paper towels, wipe surface moisture off of each piece, and vacuum pack a couple pieces in each pack. Mark date & freeze packs.

Thawing before eating:
    After freezing & thawing, the pieces have a lot of moisture on their surfaces. I found that the best thing to do is rinse each piece quickly, and wipe each piece dry with paper towels. Any piece from that pack that isn’t eaten immediately should be wrapped loosely in a paper towel, and stored in the refrigerator. After the first day or two, you can put the leftover thawed pieces in a baggie to keep from getting too dry. These pieces should keep in the refrigerator for at least 4 or 5 days. I never had any left thawed out longer than that, so I don’t know how much longer they’ll keep in the fridge.

Thanks For Looking,
    Bear

Three fresh NY Salmon fillets:

Fillets split in half lengthwise:

Skin removed:

Salmon cut in pieces, and put in brine:

Pieces rinsed, dried, and laid out:

Pieces on racks ready for overnight pellicle forming:

Completed Smoked Salmon:

That's all I could think of. Any questions, let me know.
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

only query I have is: why remove the skin before smoking ?

I find that it helps keep the fish together, stops it sticking and peels off really easy after smoking.
    Just wonder if you've tried it both ways ?

Looks great

have to admit I've generally got hot smoked salmon in the freezer in sandwich sized chunks.
    Post up my instant maple marinade soon :-)
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Hi Alex,
      First paragraph:
      The following is my results from smoking 8 batches of Salmon caught in Upstate New York. I experimented with many different ways to see what worked best for me. My variations included cold smoking for 3 hours before putting them in my MES 30, smoking with & without skin on, with & without water in pan, with apple juice in pan, with apple wood, with cherry wood, with hickory wood. I tried going hot right away, and I tried taking heat up gradually. I tried a few different mixtures in my brine.

Extra Note: I don't eat it--I don't smoke it. The heavy skin on large Salmon will definitely block smoke from getting where I want it.

Thanks,
      Bear
      Last edited by Bearcarver; 01-28-2012, 07:14 AM. Reason: Extra Note
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

I have always kept the skin on if possible also. What is the advantage of removing the skin, more smoke to the fish? Every time I've had to smoke without the skin I had trouble with the fish falling apart, but maybe it was skinnier fish. I smoke fish for a local restaurant and sometimes they provide me with "pre-skinned" Mahi. I have to smoke it in pans or on foil to keep it from falling apart.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
          I have always kept the skin on if possible also. What is the advantage of removing the skin, more smoke to the fish? Every time I've had to smoke without the skin I had trouble with the fish falling apart, but maybe it was skinnier fish. I smoke fish for a local restaurant and sometimes they provide me with "pre-skinned" Mahi. I have to smoke it in pans or on foil to keep it from falling apart.
          Hi Mark,
          I'm assuming you hot smoke for a meal type product. On that you are more concerned with appearance than with getting a lot of good tasting smoke on. If I was going to do that kind of smoke, I would probably do as you do.

The method I'm using is for snacking, and I am smoking it real hard, and I don't want the heavy skin blocking the smoke. It gets good & solid, and you can just slide a metal spatula under & pop the pieces off (spraying non-stick first also). This kind of product is for holding in your hand & eating it as a snack, or throwing a piece to your Buddy, across the room---Not for eating with a fork.

Bear

Comment

That makes sense, Thanks.
            I bet the fish would have to be thicker, at least 3/4". I need to work on it, try a different fish or two. Maybe some of the farm raised salmon, I usually stay away from it. I have tried several times but the fish I used fell apart. The salmon is allot firmer. Has to be affordable too, not paying $12lb to make fish snacks.
            Thanks for the thread, it is something I've been working on but ended up having to make fishspread instead of snacks.
            The restaurant mostly uses the fish for fishspread, soo it wouldn't matter. Just cheap mushy fish.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

I have tried Bear's method for the snack salmon before, and it came out great. It's also very good in salads as well.
              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Great post Bear. I really enjoyed it.
                Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

I still need to give your wet bring method a try and compare it to what I normally do. I am the same way as you and always use salmon without any skin. So far I haven't had any issues with the fish wanting to fall apart. They want to stick a tiny amount but with some PAM that pretty much eliminates it.
                  Propane Smoke Shack
                  UDS
                  Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                  sigpic

Comment

That makes sense, Thanks.
                    I bet the fish would have to be thicker, at least 3/4". I need to work on it, try a different fish or two. Maybe some of the farm raised salmon, I usually stay away from it. I have tried several times but the fish I used fell apart. The salmon is allot firmer. Has to be affordable too, not paying $12lb to make fish snacks.
                    Thanks for the thread, it is something I've been working on but ended up having to make fishspread instead of snacks.
                    The restaurant mostly uses the fish for fishspread, soo it wouldn't matter. Just cheap mushy fish.

You & me both!!!
                    I have yet to buy any for Salmon Snacks.
                    I only use the ones my Son gives me for Free. That last time he gave me 19 huge fillets (must have screwed one up---most Salmon come with a pair! ). Then I give him all he wants when they're smoked.

Thanks Mark,
                    Bear

And Thanks to Jim, Don, and Ross!!!

Bear

Comment

Nice job Bear, looks Great & Great tutorial
                      sigpic

Comment

adding to my to do list, thanks for the tutorial

Comment

Welllp, I was just in Publix and they had Cod on sale, so I bought a pound+ to experiment with. We'll see if that works. It's a shame I can't get the Mahi to work, I can get 10lb tub of Mahi scrap$1.95lb. May have to give that another try, drying a bit before smoke.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

Comment

May have to give that another try, drying a bit before smoke.
                            Mark, I will often times put a fan on the fish for drying purposes & to help the pelicle form before smoking. Maybe try that?

I've never smoked Cod, but curious to see how it comes out.
                            sigpic

Comment

Welllp, I was just in Publix and they had Cod on sale, so I bought a pound+ to experiment with. We'll see if that works. It's a shame I can't get the Mahi to work, I can get 10lb tub of Mahi scrap$1.95lb. May have to give that another try, drying a bit before smoke.
                              Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                              Mark, I will often times put a fan on the fish for drying purposes & to help the pelicle form before smoking. Maybe try that?

I've never smoked Cod, but curious to see how it comes out.
                              Thanks Mark & Scott!!

I never did Cod either.
                              Only ones I have smoked are Salmon, Mahi, Swordfish, Tuna, and small Trout (10" to 14").
                              The Trout were very delicate, so I left the skin on them & smoked them whole, gutted & headless.

Bear

And Thank You too, Cheech!!

Bear

Comment

Working...
                              X