X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Beef (For Sammies)

Rare Roast Beef (for Sammies)

Rare Roast Beef lunch meat is too expensive in my stores, soooooo----
    I finally decided to smoke some of my own Beef for sammies, when Weis Markets had "Whole Sirloins" for $2.59 per pound.
    All they had next to their sign were little steak size pieces, about 1.5 to 2.7 pounds, so I went over and asked one of the 3 butchers in the back what gives.
    He said, "Oh you want a whole one to smoke?----I'll bring a couple out."
    He brought 4 of them out, and I picked the one that was the most even in thickness, across the whole roast (7.88 lbs).
    He put the other 3 where I hadn't been able to find any. Those guys are great, the way they work with you.

Here is how I did mine, in my MES 40:

Day #1 (Prepping):
    Rinse the roast off under clean cold water, and pat dry with paper towels.
    Coat the whole thing with Worcestershire Sauce (THICK).
    Coat the whole thing "lightly" with CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder.
    Wrap in Plastic Wrap, and put in foil on a dish, so it doesn't leak in your fridge.
    Put in fridge over night.

Day #2 (smoking day):
    9:45 AM---------Pre-heat Smoker to 240˚.
    10:30 AM--------Sprinkle Montreal Steak Seasoning on, and put on rack in second position.
    10:30 AM--------Reset temp to 225˚. Also light AMNPS (Hickory Pellets).
    10:45 AM--------Put well lit AMNPS in MES 40.
    1:30 PM---------Sterilize Meat probe & insert to center of roast (internal temp---111˚)
    3:15 PM---------Remove roast at 135˚ IT, and cover with double foil.
    4:00 PM---------Allow to cool down some, cut in half with grain, wrap in plastic wrap & put in fridge to cool down over night.

Day #3:
    Put in Freezer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
    Slice across grain for rare roast beef sammies.

Note: After sampling on Day #2, I ended up rubbing the outer coating of Montreal Steak Seasoning off, before slicing.
    Many people like it. I tried it before & didn't like it. Then I thought I had put it on too heavy.
    This time I only sprinkled it on lightly, and I still didn't like it. I don't mind the salt, or the tiny bit of heat, but some of it tastes like cardboard. IMO
    That plus the little pieces fall off all over the place anyway.

Thanks for looking,
    Bear

Seasonings I used:

Rubbed, wrapped, and ready for fridge:

Fresh out from under Foil cover, after smoking:

Cut in half with grain. Beautiful hunk of Beef:

Nice Close-up (Dang--Making myself hungry just looking at this pic):

6 pounds of nice Sammy slices of rare roast beef:

A little bit closer look:

All packed for freezer, and a container for Supper:

A good coating of Miracle Whip or Mayo, a slice of Provolone, and a bunch of Horse radish:

Add some nice Smoked Rare Beef:

My first plate, with some Cheese Fries (for a change):

The End
    Last edited by Bearcarver; 08-12-2015, 05:10 PM.
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Nice roast beast Papa Bear! Never tried that Montreal seasoning you're talking about, at least I don't think so. for some sammie deliciousness!

How do you keep all that jizz from getting in to your vacuum packer? Is it a problem for you?

Comment

Beautiful!! The last two times I have done these I was thinking that my slices could use just a little more flavor. The flavor was there on the outside but the inside need a bit more. I was thinking I either need to let the rub sit on it a lot longer or I need to try and inject the roast with some beef broth and seasoning or something. You ever though about or done that?
      Propane Smoke Shack
      UDS
      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
      sigpic

Comment

Looks great Bear! And it's posts like this that made me buy a good slicer.
        Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
        My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
        @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
          Nice roast beast Papa Bear! Never tried that Montreal seasoning you're talking about, at least I don't think so. for some sammie deliciousness!

How do you keep all that jizz from getting in to your vacuum packer? Is it a problem for you?
          Thank You my Dear!!!!
          I had to dump the blood out of the trough about every other seal. Next time I will divide the piles into what I'm going to put in each pack, and then freeze them pretty good before vacuum sealing. That should solve that little PITA.

Bear

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
          Beautiful!! The last two times I have done these I was thinking that my slices could use just a little more flavor. The flavor was there on the outside but the inside need a bit more. I was thinking I either need to let the rub sit on it a lot longer or I need to try and inject the roast with some beef broth and seasoning or something. You ever though about or done that?
          Thanks Ross!
          I'm not much on injecting (last resort). If I wanted more flavor, I would try keeping it in the fridge for 2 or 3 days, before slicing, giving more of the outside flavor a chance to move inward. But that's just me.

Bear

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
          Looks great Bear! And it's posts like this that made me buy a good slicer.
          Thanks Jim!!!
          Yup definitely need a slicer for this stuff!!!

Bear
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

Those look mighty tasty Bear. I know the care package in on the way
            Scarbelly

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
              Thank You my Dear!!!!
              I had to dump the blood out of the trough about every other seal. Next time I will divide the piles into what I'm going to put in each pack, and then freeze them pretty good before vacuum sealing. That should solve that little PITA.
              Bear,

The roast beast looks awesome (as usual).

One thing I have always threatened to do is take the liquid gold drippings and put it in a mini ice cube tray and freeze it (I have an ice cream tray that makes itty bitty cubes, and a bunch of em) and then drop a few of those in each package when I seal it too. May be a thought. the other, let it set up in the freezer (partially frozen) and then the juices stay in the food.
              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Nice beef man!! those will make some right fine sammys for a while!!
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

very nice post,bear! you're right, it is WAY too expensive in the dtores, and very easy to make at home! excellent!
                  Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                  Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                    Bear,

The roast beast looks awesome (as usual).

One thing I have always threatened to do is take the liquid gold drippings and put it in a mini ice cube tray and freeze it (I have an ice cream tray that makes itty bitty cubes, and a bunch of em) and then drop a few of those in each package when I seal it too. May be a thought. the other, let it set up in the freezer (partially frozen) and then the juices stay in the food.

Thank You!!!

You mean something like this (Below)?
                    The stuff below was from one of my Prime Ribs, after removing the fat:

Au Jus Cubes:

Bear

Comment

That's some verry nice looking cow meat you got their friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                        Thank You!!!

You mean something like this (Below)?
                        The stuff below was from one of my Prime Ribs, after removing the fat:

Au Jus Cubes:

Bear
                        Hell Yeah That's What I'm talking 'bout!
                        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Oh yeah...that's what I'm talkin' 'bout Bear . You had me turnin' flips with the horseradish on the sammich...got me ready ta . Very nice post!! fer sure!!
                          Rudy

sigpic
                          GOSM Big Block
                          SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
                          22.5" Weber Kettle
                          Smokey Joe for the RV
                          Assorted Digital Thermos
                          and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

Now thats some good lookin chit

Ross ,I'll just season each slice while bagging and let em soak in there own juices .and its delicious
                            2-22.5'' weber
                            1-18'' weber
                            1 smokey joe
                            22.5'' wsm
                            24'' smoke vault
                            1-outhouse
                            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...
                            X