Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Default Ham Twins (Double Smoked)

Ham Twins (Double Smoked)

I've been paying a small fortune for Double Smoked Hams for the last 20 years, because they are soooo good, so I finally decided to save a few bucks, and see how it goes.
I think last year's was about 17 pounds for about $55 !!!

Giant had Fully cooked & smoked Shank End Hams for 79 per pound, so I got two of them, about 11 pounds each.

I cut the little bit of skin off the top, and some of the fat (should have cut more fat off).

I set my MES 40 to 200˚, and put each of the Hams in it's own foil pan, supported on their own little wire drying rack (so they don't sit right in the juice).

Then I filled my AMNS with Hickory dust, and we're off to the slow motion races.

Meanwhile I mixed up two different glazes for a test:

Glaze #1
1/2 C of Brown Sugar
1/3 C of Maple Syrup
1/2 tsp of ground mustard
1/8 tsp of ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp of ground ginger
1/8 tsp of ground cloves
Dash of ground nutmeg

Glaze #2
1/2 C of Honey
1/4 C of Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp of cider vinegar
1 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1/4 tsp of ground ginger
1/4 tsp of allspice

After 7 hours, the internal temps were identical at 122˚.
I poured half of Glaze #1 on Ham # 1, and half of Glaze #2 on Ham #2 at 4:30 PM, and changed my heat from 200˚ to 270˚.
At 5 PM I did the same thing with the other half of the Glaze.

At 5:20 PM I pulled the Hams at 135˚ internal temp (label said you could eat it cold, or heat to 130˚).

Let Ham rest and take pictures.

BTW: Everyone here agrees---Glaze #1 is the best of the two.

NOTE: Next time I will trim more fat off of my ham, and put the fat trimmings above the Ham in my smoker. That way the fat won't be in the way of the smoke getting into the meat, yet it can still drip down to baste the Ham.

Enjoy The Views,
Bear

Twin Hams, smoked & fully cooked:

Nearly 22 pounds of Ham for $17:

Bear's Eye View through my MES 40 Door. I love that window:

View with door open:

35 MPH winds being blocked with a little cardboard:

Eat your heart out Dolly!

View of Left Ham:

View of Right Ham:

Just a bit of each sliced for Me & the Mrs:

A little closer from one Ham:

Some from the other Ham:

My plate-----Made two trips, so I had room for veggies on my plate:

Final Close-up View:

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Bearcarver; 05-02-2013 at 01:29 PM.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Fullabull

WaysideRanch Is Just Starting Out

Looks great Bear. Wow!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:28 AM
🌵

THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All

Break out the applesauce! Another one to add to the 'to do' list.
Unfortunately I don't have the points to give.
Weber Smokey Joe

Not to mention the occasional campfire

SANTA FISH...

NRA Patron Life Member

"We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."
-Martin Luther-

Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaysideRanch View Post
Looks great Bear. Wow!!!
Thank You Scott!!

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
Break out the applesauce! Another one to add to the 'to do' list.
Unfortunately I don't have the points to give.
Thanks IceMan!!
I know what you mean---Sometimes I'm two days behind, waiting for reloads.

Bear
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Pit Master

SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All

Man do those babies look good! A helluva bargain to boot. I can almost smell them from here with the excellent pics too.
to ya brother.

@SmokinJim52 on Twitter
Old 01-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Fishawn Wannabie

Doug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Looks

Point's cops got me, get ya on the reload
Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe
Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
The Vortex
Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Pit Master

Thank You Jim & Doug !!!

Hams are easy to take pictures of----They're such "Hams" !!!

Bear
Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Smokin Bill

minnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To All
minnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To All

Man that does look good
22.5'' wsm
24'' smoke vault
1-outhouse
Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
Smoked meathead #135
Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 PM
<----Culinary Genius

gmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To All
gmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To All

Yum yum dim sum!

Dogs and cats living together MASS HYSTERIA!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Its really smokey in here

ThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To All
ThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To AllThunderDome Is  A Name Known To All

It's always Bear who makes me want to try a MES....i eyeball the sh*t out of them now when I'm at Sam's

Hams look great!

Ugly Drum Smokers on Facebook
Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Rub Mixer

Adiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Looks great, Bear. Glad to see you posting again!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderDome View Post
It's always Bear who makes me want to try a MES....i eyeball the sh*t out of them now when I'm at Sam's

Hams look great!

Thank TD!!!
It's a great smoker for a old tired guy (or Bear).
I fit that bill.

Bear

And Thanks to Bill, gmotoman, and James !!!!

Bear
Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 AM
cowboysfan

cowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godcowboysfan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Hams look awesome, and the photography just as good, i am not worthy to be in the company of such great talent! you do get my

Brown Trout Wickiup Reservoir, beautiful Central Oregon
Old 01-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
Hams look awesome, and the photography just as good, i am not worthy to be in the company of such great talent! you do get my

Thank You for the points, CBF !!!

However, you are being far to kind----There are many on this forum who are much better at this smoking game than I am.

This "Double Smoking Ham" thing is about as easy as you can get, with awesome results. Just follow my directions above. Get a cheap pre-cured, pre-cooked Ham, and put more smoke on it, making it much, much better than it was when you bought it. You won't believe how tasty a Double Smoked Ham is!!!

Since it was pre-cured & pre-cooked, you don't have to worry about getting the cure into the center of such a large piece, and you don't have to worry about anything called "Bone Sour".
All you have to worry about is "eating too much"!!!

Thanks again,
Bear

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Pork