Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buckboard Bacon and Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham (Step by Step)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckboard Bacon and Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham (Step by Step)

Buckboard Bacon and Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham (Step by Step)

Finally got around to trying some Boston Butt Ham to go with my BBB, and it came out Awesome!!!

I was thinking of breaking this into two parts (#1BBB----and---- #2 Butt Ham), but the whole prepping, curing, and smoking was tied together so completely, it had to stay together.
    So please excuse the length of this post, but it can't be a "Step by Step", if any Steps are missing!!!

It's real easy to do, as I will show below.
    Also: This is how I did this. That doesn't mean this is the only way of doing it!

You could leave the bone in, cure & smoke the whole Boston Butt, and then pull the whole thing into "Pulled Butt Ham".
    However I decided to remove the bone, and cut each Butt in two pieces.
    Then I cured all 4 pieces, and turned the side with the fat cap into "BBB", and the other side into "Boston Butt Ham".

The only difference in doing both things at once was since I only wanted to smoke the thin BBB halves to about 120˚ IT "slowly", I had to smoke the other halves slowly for awhile too.
    Then once I removed the pieces of BBB, I ran the temp up to 225˚ and more until completion.

Hang On---Here We Go:

1st Day (Getting it into cure):
    Remove bones from the butts, slice in half at the bone removal point, rinse, and pat dry.
    Weigh each piece of meat, and weigh the proper amount of Tender Quick to go with each piece (1/2 ounce per pound of meat).
    Apply those amounts of cure to their designated pieces of meat, along with some Brown Sugar (between 1 tsp and 1 TBS Per pound).
    Put each piece of meat in it's own individual zip-lock bag, being careful to gather up any TQ that fell off, and throw it in with the piece it fell off of.
    This way the proper amount of cure will stay with the piece of meat it was designated to be with.

Put these bags in the fridge for no less than the time needed to properly cure, at a temperature between 36˚ and 40˚ (I prefer 37˚/38˚).

Calculate the time by measuring the thickest point of all pieces of meat.
    Divide that by how many "half inches" there are in that.
    Then add 2 days to that, for the minimum number of days in cure.
    I then add 2 or 3 days to that, to be sure it gets to the center of each piece.
    Example:
    In this case, the thickest point was 2", so there are 4 "half inches" in 2 inches.
    4 plus 2 = 6 minumum days in cure---Plus I added 2 more days = 8 Days in cure.
    During those 8 days, I flip each package over, and massage it slightly, pressing it flat, and returning it to the fridge.

Day #9 (Prepping for smoking):
    Remove from curing bags, rinse, and put in a container to soak for 1/2 Hour, to remove surface salt.
    Cut a couple slices from the middle of a piece, to check if the cure went to the center.
    The color should be pink or red all the way to the center---No gray spot in center.
    Fry these pieces up to make sure it's not too salty.
    If it is too salty, soak it for an hour & test again.
    Using TQ and Brown Sugar with my method, I have never had any Bacon that even tasted salty, let alone too salty, but I still check every time, just to be sure. Once you smoke it, it's a little late to fix it.
    Rinse again, pat dry, and put on smoker racks (this is only if you have room in a fridge).
    I then sprinkle CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder on each piece, and put these racks in my meat fridge to start the pellicle for next day smoking.
    If you don't have an extra fridge, you can put the pieces in front of a fan for an hour or so, or put the pieces in the smoker without smoke for an hour or so, until it gets the tacky shiny pellicle.

Note: I put the two thinner pieces (with the fat caps) on a grill rack for the top position in my smoker, and the other two pieces on another rack for position #2, which is a little hotter.

Day #10 (Smoking Meat)
    6:30 AM------------------Preheat smoker to 140˚.
    7:00 AM------------------Put meat in smoker. Temp probe one on each shelf, and put Maverick smoker probe on left side (MES sensor is on right side).
    7:30 AM------------------Put well lit (one end) Hickory filled AMNPS on bars at the bottom, to the left of the chip drawer. Reset heat to 120˚.
    7:30 AM------------------I also put my foil half-pan above AMNPS to protect it from dripping, and my foil covered aluminum sheet on right, to direct the heat to the center.
    9:00 AM------------------Top piece----100˚***** Bottom piece----91˚
    10:00 AM----------------Top----108˚*****Bottom----104˚
    11:00 AM----------------Top----111˚*****Bottom----109˚*****Bump heat up to 140˚.
    12:00 Noon--------------Top----115˚*****Bottom----115˚*****Bump heat up to 160˚.
    1:00 PM------------------Top----118˚*****Bottom----119˚*****Remove Bacon (Top Pieces), and move that probe down. Also bump heat up to 225˚.
    2:00 PM------------------Left----142˚*****Right----140˚
    3:00 PM------------------Left----156˚*****Right----157˚
    3:00 PM------------------I put one piece in foil pan. Then Pineapple rings. Then the other piece. Then Pineapple rings. Then pour Pineapple juice over.
    3:00 PM------------------Double foil over, and put on second smoker position. Bump heat up to 260˚. Remove AMNPS.
    4:00 PM------------------All----168˚
    4:30 PM------------------All----183˚
    5:00 PM------------------All----195˚
    5:20 PM------------------All----204˚*****Cut heat to 100˚.
    5:45 PM------------------All----207˚*****Remove to kitchen. Pull just enough for Supper, and keep the rest covered. Eat some Great Boston Butt Pulled Ham.

Day #12 (Slicing, Vacuum Packing, & Freezing The BBB)
    This stuff needed 5 hours in freezer, before it would slice nice.

Thanks For Looking!!!

Bear

Proper amounts of Tender Quick weighed and waiting for their designated hunks of meat:

Four deboned halves, rinsed, dried, and ready for curing:

All sealed up in curing bags (Zip-locks), and ready for 8 days in Fridge at 37˚-38˚:

Soaking for 20 or 30 minutes to get rid of surface salt:

Salt-Fry test. Note deep red color showing curing was through to center:

Ah yes---My favorite taste test is nearing:

MES 40 Ready for smoking. I just put new foil on my bottom smoker parts:

First to come out of Smoker-----Two pieces of Buckboard Bacon:

That's what was left after "7 1/4" hours of real nice smoke. Separate burning pellets, and save:

Both pieces of Butt Ham, with Pineapple rings between & on top, and juices in the pan:

After the top piece was removed:

Pulling "Cured Boston Butt Ham". Pulled real nice, and tastes Awesome!!!

Bear's first ever Pulled Butt Ham Sam:

And this into the fridge for some left-over Sammies (Minus some that went to our Son's house):

Let's Make A Great Sammy!!

Heat up some Pulled Butt Ham by flipping it around awhile in a hot pan:

Drop two eggs on top of that pile of meat:

Flip that all around, until it looks like this:

Shovel it into a nice sized roll with some BBQ sauce on it.
    Then squirt some of your favorite Hot Sauce on it:

Closer look at the Sammy:

Then after 3 days of Pulled Boston Butt Ham Sammies, a couple packs ready for freezing.
    This will taste even better a couple weeks from now:

Back to the Buckboard Bacon:

After a couple days of sitting wrapped in my fridge, it was time to slice the Bacon:

And into the freezer it goes!!!!

That's All Folks!
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Looks and sounds great Bear, just put an 8 pounder in a wet cure for smoking next weekend. Love the step-by-step.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Another great step by step.

Do voice record these as you go or right it down.
      I coudn't keep all that in my head.

Comment

Looks great!!

Thanks!!

Craig

Comment

Great job as usual. Points for sure.
          Propane Smoke Shack
          UDS
          Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
          sigpic

Comment

Good looking stuff, Bear! I think next on my list will be the butt ham. Rich had suggested that a while back, but I had forgotten about it.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Excellent thread Bear .... Outta but totally worth on reload

Really wanna try the pulled ham thingy, been on me list for a while now.

Nice job
              sigpic

Comment

I like it...I need to get off my butt (or butts) and try both of these...Thanks...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                  Looks and sounds great Bear, just put an 8 pounder in a wet cure for smoking next weekend. Love the step-by-step.
                  Thank You Jim!!!

Bear

Originally posted by 1Cavman View Post
                  Another great step by step.

Do voice record these as you go or right it down.
                  I coudn't keep all that in my head.

Thanks 1st Cav!!!
                  LOL--I can't remember that stuff---I take copious notes, and it takes hours & hours for my one typing finger to put this all together.
                  However, I figure it's worth it, because the next time I do the same thing, it's so easy to do, plus it helps others too.

Bear

Originally posted by fpnmf View Post
                  Looks great!!

Thanks!!

Craig

And Thank You, Craig!!

Bear

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
                  Great job as usual. Points for sure.
                  Thanks Ross!!

Bear
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                    Good looking stuff, Bear! I think next on my list will be the butt ham. Rich had suggested that a while back, but I had forgotten about it.

Thanks Keith!!

Yup---Shortly after I came over to this forum, my antenna picked up Rich mentioning "Pulled Ham from a Butt". My ears went up & I promised to try it. This was it, and I'm really glad I did!!!

This stuff is Awesome!!!

Bear

Comment

Thank You Scott!!

You'll love this stuff---I Gar-Awn-Tee!!!

Bear

Comment

That looks like the perfect meat. Does it taste 1/2 as good as it looks?

Comment

RELOADED.......................................

I really gotta do that pulled ham

sigpic

Comment

Amazing how simple you make it look with your step-by-step. I'll bet that stuff makes some killer ham salad!
                            Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
                            Weber Performer
                            Weber 22.5" OTG
                            Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
                            Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
                            Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
                            BBQ Food Truck

Comment

so good it's worth repeating thrice :-)

So now I have to get some shoulder and make pulled ham - sweetcure all the way though :-)

awesome thread and idea

The cooking with piney apple is inspired !
                              that's definitely going to happen :-)
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X