Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Cooking on the Kettle w/ the Vortex - Pic Heavy Pulled Pork

PART 1

Here is one of the other methods I've been using w/ the Vortex chimney. Just flipped it over so the wide end is up, and it turns the kettle into an indirect cooker as well as acts as a deflector for the meat

The Setup

Charcoal loaded around it. Foil in the middle to catch drippings and block the air coming up the center

Threw some Pecan chunks on top

Lit a few briquettes to start it

Boston Butt. Tried the 'Smoke On Wheels' Injection for this one

Butt loaded

The 'cleaner handle' is almost completely shut. Probably only open a 1/2 cm

Aiming for 250

Here it is about 2 hours into cook

Not a whole lot of charcoal consumed

Got good clean smoke going

PART 2

Just over 3 hours

The thermo and lid exhaust gets rotated opposite where the hot coals have snaked their way around

Almost to 4 hours

Not a whole lot stays lit to hold @ 250

6 hour mark. Time to foil

Showing the coals

All done w/ a little to spare

All done. The Smoke On Wheels injection is great by the way

Comment

Dammmmnnn! Ok now you have gone and made me hungry! Nicely done, what a great way to do indirect on a kettle! Thanks for sharing!
      Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
      Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
      A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
      A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
      Frogmats
      Maverick ET 732
      Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
        Dammmmnnn! Ok now you have gone and made me hungry! Nicely done, what a great way to do indirect on a kettle! Thanks for sharing!
        Ditto! Gotta get me a Vortex. Great job, TD!
        Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
        ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
        Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
        Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

That's one OUTSTANDING looking Butt, TD !!!-------

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

very nice there!!
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

That is a great cooked. I am impressed.

Ed
              Yoder YS480
              Yoder Cheyenne
              Weber Kettle w/ Rotissieri
              Kettlepizza

Comment

Bravo! What a cool tool to add to the kettle!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Oh My Goodness, That turned out Awesome. Love all the pics on the progress. for a Great cook, can't wait to try the Vortex on my new Weber...
                  God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
                  Weber Performer Gold
                  Masterbuilt 26" twins
                  Big Chief Electric smoker
                  Brinkmann barrel smoker
                  LEM sausage stuffer
                  Cabela's pro HD grinder
                  Maverick ET-732
                  ThermoWorks Thermapen
                  GrillGrates

Comment

looks like some gooooooooddddd pork need me one of those Vortex cones
                    sigpic
                    Yoder Loaded Wichita
                    Maverick ET-732
                    Weber Performer Platinum

Comment

I'm really impressed as well. Thinking outside the box. Nice job.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

A really cool tool with equally impressive results. Great thread!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BIGGLOPEZ View Post
                          Oh My Goodness, That turned out Awesome. Love all the pics on the progress. for a Great cook, can't wait to try the Vortex on my new Weber...
                          Love the new Performer, Big L. I agree completely with you on the Vortex, but I sincerely hope you throw those Weber coal trays in the garbage. They not only don't work well, they work far worse than just a pile of coals piled on the far side of the kettle. That's my experience, anyway. They screwed up the cooks I tried them on. When I moved to Flag last April, I tossed mine. About the only thing "Weber" that I've thought was useless.

Well, except for a little Smokey Joe kettle. I bought one of those when I lived in downtown Chicago. I cooked one meal on it...and then it was gone. Literally. I got up the next morning, and the SOB had blown up and over the railing on my 14th floor apartment. I looked down on the sidewalk, and didn't see a body, so all good there. Unfortunately, no piece of the grill survived to be found.
                          Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
                          ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
                          Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
                          Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Originally posted by Ozric View Post

Well, except for a little Smokey Joe kettle. I bought one of those when I lived in downtown Chicago. I cooked one meal on it...and then it was gone. Literally. I got up the next morning, and the SOB had blown up and over the railing on my 14th floor apartment. I looked down on the sidewalk, and didn't see a body, so all good there. Unfortunately, no piece of the grill survived to be found.

Like to hear this story........
                            sigpic

Comment

Dang TD! You rock! I'm loving hearing aboot the vortex setup. Nice butt too.

Comment

Working...
                              X